Belay devices are central tools for all climbers. Most climbers will tell you they have a great bond with their belay devices. Belaying is essential to the safety of any climber. When choosing the best belay device, you need to consider several factors. Some of the things to consider include safety, functionality, versatility, and ease of use.
In our reviews below, we’ve looked at all these aspects and come up with a list of the top belay devices on the market. Go right ahead and read through our reviews to find one that best matches your climbing habits.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Belay Devices Reviews
- 10. BLACK DIAMOND ATC-XP Belay & Rappel Device
- 9. PETZL Grigri Two Belay Devices
- 8. GM CLIMBING Micro Belay Device with Locking Carabiner
- 7. PETZL Verso UltraLight Belay/Rappel Device
- 6. PETZL GRIGRI Belay Device
- 5. Mammut Alpine Smart Belay Device
- 4. Climbing Technology Safety Material Click Up Kit
- 3. EDELRID – MegaJul Belay Device – Slate
- 2. Black Diamond Big Air Pilot Package Belay & Rappel Device
- 1. BLACK DIAMOND ATC- Guide Belay Device
Table of the Best Belay Devices Reviews
10. BLACK DIAMOND ATC-XP Belay & Rappel Device
The Black Diamond belay device is a great pick to start our list with two friction modes. It is safe and easy to use the device that every climber should try out. The device features a unique design that helps reduce rope kinking. It is a sturdy and durable choice that keeps its shape over a long period of use. The belay can handle a wide range of ropes ranging from 7.7 to 11mm. It is also lightweight and pretty easy to carry with you everywhere you go.
- Two friction modes
- Durable keeper cable that retains shape
- Handles ropes of 7.7 to 11mm thickness
9. PETZL Grigri Two Belay Devices
This is another unique belay device designed to work with single ropes with a thickness of 8.9 to 11mm. The device is 5 inches wide and 2 inches wide. This is a relatively new device that offers progressive control. It is a great choice for a smooth and even lowering. Most climbers will tell you the best belay device must be even and smooth when lowering. It works with the horse rope when topping. Overall, this is a quality belay device with assisted braking to help stop the rope from sliding.
- Measures 2 inches high by 5 inches wide
- Works with single ropes with an 8.9-11mm thickness
- Progressive, decent control
- Assisted braking
8. GM CLIMBING Micro Belay Device with Locking Carabiner
This is a V-grooved belay device with a micro design for easy carrying everywhere you go. It is a highly rated device to buy with confidence. The device offers better rope control with teethed channels that increase the braking friction. This means the device can work with thin ropes. Overall, this belay device can easily arrest the fall of a climber using minimal force. It is a pretty decent device with double slot construction for effective braking.
- Ultra-light and compact for easy carrying
- V-grooved belay design
- Teethed channels for increased rope friction
- Double slot construction
7. PETZL Verso UltraLight Belay/Rappel Device
This is another ultra-lightweight belay device weighing a mere 57 grams. It is a great choice device to carry with you everywhere you go hiking. The device works for all ropes measuring mm or greater. It also works for single ropes measuring 8.9mm and twin ropes measuring 7.5mm or greater. The small compact design means you can easily take it everywhere you go. It is quite efficient at braking when using large diameter ropes. Overall, this is a unique belay device with the latest ARC technology to suit different diameter ropes.
- Ultra-lightweight for easy carrying
- Compact design to take little space
- Works for all ropes
- Adapted braking efficiency
6. PETZL GRIGRI Belay Device
This is another quality PETZL belay device measuring 5 inches wide and 2 inches high. It is a lightweight design belay and one you can take everywhere. The device is durably constructed for long-lasting use due to the stainless steel wear plate. Overall, this device weighs 200 grams. It is a compatible choice to most ropes. You can use it on all single ropes measuring 8.9 to 11mm thickness. It also features an anti-panic handle for braking and stopping. There is a further two-selection knob for choosing the lead or top rope.
- Long-lasting and durable
- Lightweight design
- Compatible to most ropes
- Anti-panic handle
5. Mammut Alpine Smart Belay Device
The Mammut belay device is another pretty versatile choice. The device can be used for ice climbing, mountaineering, trad climbing, canyoneering, and sports climbing. This is a safe auto-blocking belay device with a lifetime warranty. There are no moving parts, and it works efficiently. You can buy it with confidence knowing you’re getting a quality belay device. It is also small enough to fit in your backpack taking very little space.
- Small and compact
- Versatile and can be used on various climbing
4. Climbing Technology Safety Material Click Up Kit
This is a sturdy and durable green coloured belay device with a click up and HMS technology. It is a versatile device that accommodates ropes with a thickness of 8.9-10.5mm thickness. Overall, this is a safe and reliable belay device certified by the UIAA and CE. It only weighs 115 grams and can easily be carried with you everywhere you go.
- Lightweight and easy to take anywhere
- Sturdy and durable
- CE and UIAA certified for safety
- Fits most ropes with a thickness of 8.9-10.5mm
3. EDELRID – MegaJul Belay Device – Slate
The EDELRID is a highly versatile belay device with a solid stainless steel abseil device for long-lasting use and durability. This device features a high braking performance for the safe arrest of the climbers. It is a supported belay device when fielding a fall. This device is a unique choice with a small eyelet releasing unit to bring up your partner. It also features a rapid payout option to a leader by holding it in an open position. Overall, this is a sturdy and reliable belay device made in Germany to the highest standard.
- Quite versatile
- Excellent braking performances
- Small eyelet for releasing the unit
- Sturdy and durable
2. Black Diamond Big Air Pilot Package Belay & Rappel Device
This is a sturdily made synthetic belay device with a gridlock carabiner and ATC pilot. It is another reliable option for climbers. The device fits most single ropes with a thickness of 8.7-10.5 inches. It is a perfect choice for single rope use. This device offers an added level of safety to single pitch belays. It is also lightweight and easy to carry with a weight of 162 grams.
- Features a synthetic material
- Lightweight design weighing 162 grams
- Accommodates single ropes with a thickness of 8.7-10.5mm
- Includes a gridlock carabiner and ATC pilot
1. BLACK DIAMOND ATC- Guide Belay Device
This is another multiple friction belay device with sturdy and durable construction. The device keeps its shape and rarely gets caught between ropes. It is an efficient and reliable device with machined windows for excellent weight savings. It features an auto-block release that accepts very small carabiners. There is a further guide mode that easily works with one or two climbers. Overall, this is a smooth and dependable belay device to use on all climbing conditions.
- Works on all climbing conditions
- Multiple friction modes
- Auto-block release hole for small carabiners
These by far are the best belay devices for all climbers looking for a quality, safe and reliable belay device. The devices are tested and proven to offer a smooth and even lowering of climbers. They are also highly rated and recommended for use by previous consumers making them a great choice. Make sure you check them out and choose one that best suits your climbing.