Canister filters help us filter the aquarium water and remove all the dirt and debris that build up over time. They are a must-have for homes with aquariums if you’re to support a healthy aquarium life. When choosing the best canister filters, the most important consideration is the amount of water it pumps per minute. Choosing the ideal canister filter can sometimes present a challenge with the market flooded with different models.
In this post, we want to help you choose the best filters by reviewing only the top models. Make sure you read our canister filter reviews below before selecting a filter that best suits your needs.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Canister Filters Reviews
- 10. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium
- 9. EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media
- 8. Fluval External Filter for Healthy Fresh & Saltwater Aquariums
- 7. MarineLand Magniflow Canister Filter for Aquariums
- 6. Hydor Professional External Canister Filter
- 5. Polar Aurora 4-Stage External Canister Filter with UV Sterilizer
- 4. Fluval FX4 High-Performance Aquarium Canister Filter
- 3. Polar Aurora External Aquarium Filter with Built-in Pump Kit Canister
- 2. SunSun HW-303B 4-Stage External Canister Aquarium Filter
- 1. Marineland Multi-Stage Canister Filter for Aquariums
Table of the Best Canister Filters Reviews
10. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium
This is one of the leading canister filter brands on the market with positive reviews and recommendations online. It is a quality choice with excellent features. The canister features a quick push-button self-primer for easy use. The valves rotate independently at 360 degrees helping in excellent water filtration. It also features a waterproof base and a sturdy tip for optimum performances. The flow rate can easily be adjusted through the cut-off valves.
- Easy flow-rate adjustment through cut-off valves
- Easy push-button self-primer
- Waterproof base
- Sturdy tip
9. EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media
The EHEIM is another simple and easy to use a canister filter. It is a great buy that comes complete with valves and the filter media for immediate use out of the box. The filter is equipped with loose filter media and sponges. It also comes with accessories like the inlet pipe, spray bar, hose, and all the installation accessories. For easy opening and closing after when cleaning, the filter features permo-elastic silicone sealing which is fixed on the ring.
- Permo-elastic silicone sealing
- Filter sponges and loose media filter
- Complete filter media and valves
- Easy installation
8. Fluval External Filter for Healthy Fresh & Saltwater Aquariums
The Fluval External Filter is another high-quality multi-stage filtration selection ideal for salt and freshwater aquariums. It has a flow rate of 1450 LPH and a great choice for aquariums with 100 gallons. It features an impeller design that dampens sound for a quiet operation. This filter further features a layer foam screen and clog-proof intake. It is a great buy with the Aquastop valve. The unique square-shaped design helps hold 35 – 50 percent more water than other round canisters. It is further backed by a three-year warranty.
- Sound dampening impeller design
- Multi-stage filtration
- Clog proof intake
- Square shape design to hold more water
7. MarineLand Magniflow Canister Filter for Aquariums
This is another excellent filter that even removes fine particles leaving the water clean and debris-free. The filter features ceramic rings and bio-filters. The rings offer a wide area for the growth of biospheres leading to excellent filtration. It also removes all odours through the black diamond carbon. The diamond also removes all impurities and discolouration in the water. Debris and dirt are easily filtered by filter foam pads. Overall, the canister filter is a quality selection with a tight seal lid.
- Tight seal lid
- Ceramic rings and biofilters
- Polishing filter pads to remove fine debris
- The black diamond that removes odours, impurities, and discolouration
6. Hydor Professional External Canister Filter
This is one of the best canister filters on the market with a complete set of what makes an eco-system. The filter comprises all the mechanical, biological and chemical filtration in the box. It is an excellent choice for a long aquatic lifestyle. The Hydor canister filter features telescopic intake tubes to make everything easy. It also features a priming feature for easy operation.
- Priming feature for easy operation
- Telescopic intake tubes
- Complete eco-system of biological, mechanical and chemical
- Easy operation
5. Polar Aurora 4-Stage External Canister Filter with UV Sterilizer
This is a high-quality 4-stage canister ideal for fish tanks with up to 200 gallons of water. It is a quality filter with a built-in UV sterilizer that helps control the growth of algae. The filter canister features a powerful 55-watt pump which delivers a flow rate of 525 GPH. There are four media trays that handle all forms of filtration. The spray bar is also adjustable allowing you to control the output of water. Overall, this is an excellent choice with a convenient self-priming pump eliminating the need for manual siphoning. The media trays are flexible and allow you to add more filtration media.
- Good for tanks with over 200 gallons
- Convenient self-priming pump
- Three flexible media trays
- Adjustable spray bar
4. Fluval FX4 High-Performance Aquarium Canister Filter
The FX 4 canister filter is another top-quality selection that allows for easy water changes without lifting heavy buckets. The filter comes with a smart pump with an advanced microchip for automatic monitoring to ensure optimum performances. It is a self-starting canister that only requires water addition and plugging in. For maximum efficiency, all the trapped air is auto-evacuated after every 12 hours. The media baskets are removable and stackable to eliminate water bypass and hold. Overall, this is a compact and small filter that will easily fit under most aquariums.
- Small and compact to fit under most aquariums
- Self-starting pump
- Multi-stage filter pump
- Easy water changes
3. Polar Aurora External Aquarium Filter with Built-in Pump Kit Canister
The Polar Aurora canister filter is a good option fish tanks up to 75 gallons. The canister filter features a 264 GPH flow rate and a pump power of 18 watts. There are three media trays that can handle any choice of filtration media. A further adjustable spray bar helps you control the output flow from the filter. It also features a self-priming pump and a single valve disconnect for easy routine maintenance. You can easily add more media due to the flexible trays. Overall, this filter is an excellent choice for chemical, mechanical and biological filtration.
- A self-priming pump
- Three media trays to handle all filtration media
- Good for fish tanks up to 75 gallons
- Ease routine maintenance
2. SunSun HW-303B 4-Stage External Canister Aquarium Filter
This is a top-notch canister filter for aquariums and one that uses high-pressure water from a pump to filter water through a dense media. There are three media trays capable of handling all forms of media. A further 9 watt UV sterilizer helps kill algae and prevent its growth. The spray bar is adjustable helping you control the flow rate of the output from the filter. The pump operates quietly delivering efficient filtration in salty and freshwater tanks. It also features self-priming pump eliminating the need for manual syphoning.
- Convenient self-priming pump
- Three flexible media trays
- Adjustable spray bar
- Quiet and efficient operations
1. Marineland Multi-Stage Canister Filter for Aquariums
The Marineland multi-stage canister filter is our final selection and one you ought to buy this year. It is a quality pick to pick the aquarium water clean and bacteria free. It features a certified water flow of 530 GPH which is ideal for most fish tanks. This filter is a perfect choice for aquariums with a water capacity of up to 150 gallons. It features a three-stage filtration process for maximum removal of debris, dirt, discolouration, and odours. There are virtually no bypasses through the media trays when filtrating.
- Three stage filtration process
- 530 GPH flow rate speed
- Ideal for aquariums up to 150 gallons
These are the best canister filters so far on the market with excellent features to keep your aquarium clean and odour free. The canister filters are highly rated and proven to work. They are a great buy and best-placed to offer you good value for money.